Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico and is found just slightly north of the center of the state. Founded in 1706 by Francisco Cuervo y Valdes, it was named after the Duke of Albuquerque, who was the Spanish viceroy from 1653 to 1660. Naturally, a city as venerable as Albuquerque has many historic sites to visit, and here are a few of them.
San Felipe de Neri Chruch
This church, named in honor of King Philip of Spain, was built in 1793 and stands in Albuquerque’s Old Town Plaza. If you’re staying at Bottger Mansion, the church is a just short five-minute walk from the bed and breakfast.
Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Locomotive
Locomotive No. 2926 was one of the last steam locomotives built for the renowned Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railway. No. 2926 was donated to Albuquerque in 1956 to commemorate the city’s 250th birthday. It now sits at the intersection of Haines Avenue and 8th Street after being moved from its original position in Coronado Park. Besides the locomotive, there are several buildings connected with the ATSF railway that are still standing. They include the 165,000 square foot machine shop, built in 1921, the boiler shop, the blacksmith shop, the flue shop and the fire station. There’s also the tank shop and the storehouse. Like the machine shop, these buildings were all raised in the early decades of the 20th century.
The Hendren Building
The Hendren building is a rare building made in the streamline moderne style that was popular in the 1930s and 40s. This particular building was raised in 1946 in the city’s Nob Hill section. Named for and commissioned by grocery store owner J. L. Hendren, its architect was T. Charles Gaastra. It was one of the last buildings that Gaastra completed before his death.
The famous Route 66, now part of Interstate Highway 40, ran through Albuquerque from 1926 to 1985. Among other historical sites to take advantage of the increase in tourism brought by the road was Maisel’s Indian Trading Post, which was built in 1939.
Petroglyph National Monument
This area is made up of an escarpment and volcanic features found at the western edge of the city. It contains tens of thousands of petroglyphs or images carved into stone by both the ancestors of the Pueblo people and Spanish settlers.